Articles (refereed Journals)
- Alberto, M. (2019). “The Prosthetic Impulse Revisited in A.I. Artificial Intelligence.” M/C Journal 22 (5): n.p. Available at: http://journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal/article/view/1591
- Alberto, M. (2017). “Seduction as Mythopoeic Accounting for Evil in Tolkien’s Work.” Mythlore 35 (2): 63-79. Also available at: https://dc.swosu.edu/mythlore/vol35/iss2/5
- Alberto, M. (2016). "‘The effort to translate’: Fan Film Culture and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien.” Journal of Tolkien Research 3 (3): n.p. Available at: https://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolkienresearch/vol3/iss3/2/
- Alberto, M. (Chapter drafted; accepted by editors). “Fan-Users, Systems, and Affordances: A Platform Studies Approach to Fan Studies Projects.” In Fan Studies: Methods, Ethics, Research, eds. Paul Booth & Rebecca Williams.
- Walls-Thumma, D., and M. Alberto. (Chapter drafted; accepted by editor). “Exploring the Longevity of Tolkien Fandom.” In Fandom The Next Generation: Transgenerational Fans and Long-Running Media Franchises, ed. Bridget Kies.
- Alberto, M. (Chapter drafted; accepted by editors). “’and stooping he raised Beleg and kissed his mouth’: Queering the Architext in Tolkien Fanfiction.” In Queer Tolkien, eds. Robin Reid, Chris Vaccaro, & Steve Yandell.
- Swanstrom, L., and M. Alberto. (Forthcoming 2021). “Dialectic of the Digital: William Gibson, Science Fiction, and the Evolution of the Digital Humanities.” In Periodizing the Future, eds. Mitch Murray & Mathias Nilges. Iowa City: The University of Iowa Press.
- Alberto, M. (Forthcoming 2021). “Creating Canons in Tabletop Roleplaying Games Played Online.” In Transmedia Fandom and Tabletop Roleplaying Games, eds. Jennifer Grouling Cover & Stephanie Hedge. Jefferson: McFarland.
- Alberto, M. (2017). “Forging Posthuman Identity in Dominic Mitchell’s In The Flesh.” In The Posthuman Gothic, ed. Anya Heise-von der Lippe, 109–124. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
- Alberto, M. (2015). “Gender and Canon Creating Sherlock’s Postfeminist Femme Fatale.” In Gender & the Modern Sherlock Holmes: Essays on Film and Television Adaptations since 2009, ed. Nadine Farghaly, 66–84. Jefferson: McFarland.
- Alberto, M. (Forthcoming 2020). "Looking at Fan-Users: Thoughts About Platform Studies in Fan Studies.” Symposium essay in “Fan Studies Methodologies,” special issue of Transformative Works and Cultures, eds. Julia Largent, Milena Popova, and Elise Vist.
- Alberto, M. (Forthcoming 2021). Three reference entries, on “Steven Spielberg's AI,” “Neil Blomkamp's District 9,”and “Isaac Asimov's I, Robot.” In Dystopian States of America: Apocalyptic Visions and Warnings in American Literature, Film, and Politics, ed. Matt Hill. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO Publishers.
- Alberto, M. (2020). Twelve reference entries on OWI research. In The Bedford Bibliography of Research in Online Writing Instruction, ed. Heidi Ann Skurat Harris. Available at: https://community.macmillan.com/docs/DOC-5039-the-bedford-bibliography-of-research-in-online-writing-instruction
- Alberto, M. (2015). “Fan Service, Past and Present, in ‘The Empty Hearse’.” In The Phoenix Papers (conference proceedings, Fandom and Neomedia Studies III), ed. J. Holder Bennet.
Select Book Reviews
- Alberto, M. (Forthcoming 2020). Review of Jaime Banks’ (ed.) Avatar, Assembled: The Social and Technical Anatomy of Digital Bodies. In The Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds.
- Alberto, M. (2020). Review of Ashley Hinck’s Politics for the Love of Fandom: Fan-Based Citizenship in a Digital World. In Transformative Works and Cultures 30. Available at https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/1839/2299
- Alberto, M. (2020). Review of Jean Bessette’s Retroactivism in the lesbian archives: Composing pasts and futures. In Kairos 24 (1). Available at http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/24.2/reviews/alberto/index.html
- Alberto, M. (2019). Review of Maisha Wester & Xavier Aldana Reyes's (eds.) Twenty-First-Century Gothic: An Edinburgh Companion. In Aeternum 6 (2). Available at https://www.aeternumjournal.com/volume-6-issue-2
- Alberto, M. (2019). Review of Todd Harper, Meghan Blythe Adams, & Nicholas Taylor’s (eds.) Queerness in Play. In First Person Scholar. Available at http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/a-glimpse-of-the-possibilities/
- Alberto, M. (2019). Review of Rob Latham's Science Fiction Criticism: An Anthology of Essential Writings. In Studies in Popular Culture 41 (2).
- Alberto, M. (2019). Review of Svenja Hohenstein’s Girl Warriors: Feminist Revisions of the Hero’s Quest in Contemporary Popular Culture. In Mythlore 38 (1).
- Alberto, M. (2018). Review of Daniel Peretti’s Superman in Myth and Folklore. In Western Folklore 77 (3).
- Alberto, M. (2016). Review of Amy Villarejo’s Ethereal Queer: Television, Historicity, Desire. In Queer Studies in Media and Popular Culture 1 (2).
- Alberto, M. (2015). Review of Janet Brennan Croft & Leslie A. Donovan's (eds.) Perilous and Fair: Women in the Works and Life of J. R. R. Tolkien. In Mallorn 56.
~ ~ ~ See older book reviews here ~ ~ ~